Identifying the Issue
This issue occurs when trying to run a comparison of PDF documents and/or raw text input. Draftable displays the following error dialog with message "Comparison of PDF documents failed. Draftable requires additional permissions to complete this action":
Additionally, the following error message might appear in the logs:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Comparison of PDF documents failed. Draftable requires additional permissions to complete this action
Root Cause of the Issue
Draftable's Legal Redline compare depends on Microsoft Word for certain functions. The issue arises due to a Word setting associated with converting PDF files into Word documents. This can occur when trying to compare PDF documents or raw text input.
Unfortunately, it's not possible for Draftable to change this setting on your behalf, but you can do this yourself via two different methods.
Workaround: Step-by-Step Instructions
There are currently two workarounds for this issue, it can be fixed via Microsoft word or editing a key within the system registry.
Microsoft Word method
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- Under File, click Open
- Browse to and select the PDF document you wish to compare (or any other PDF), and click Open.
- A dialog window will appear, informing you that Word will attempt to convert the PDF into an editable Word document.
- Tick "Don't show this message again". This is the important part.
- Click "OK" to proceed. You can close Word at this point.
- Now, you can return to Draftable Pro and run the comparison. The error should not appear anymore.
Change settings via registry method
You may need to contact your computer administrator to get these settings enabled using this method.
- Open Registry edtior or similar
- Navigate to the following path:
- Set the registry key
- Restart Draftable and retest to see if the issue is persisting.