If you are seeing this article, you have likely encountered an issue with the Draftable Legal app where the view window crashes while performing comparisons with files from iManage. This article aims to provide you with a workaround and explanation for the problem you are facing.
What's the issue?
When comparing files from iManage, the viewer window crashes. The issue causes the Draftable PDF viewer to crash unexpectedly when comparing files from iManage. This occurs specifically when using the ‘from iManage’ file selector within Draftable.
It is related to a compatibility problem with the latest version of a system component called Microsoft Edge WebView2. This problem will only affect users with the latest version of this component.
Here's the solution
Our team has released v2.13.100 on Tuesday 6 February 2024 which includes a fix for this issue. Customers can update to v2.13.100 now via:
- For default (.exe) installers or per-user MSI installers: update using the command in the settings menu (see screenshot below)
- For enterprises using the machine-wide MSI, download the latest MSI installer via the following link: https://dl.draftable.com/desktop/DraftableDesktopSystem.msi
Prior to updating, customers can workaround the viewer crashing issue by:
- Loading iManage files via the ‘launch from’ options within iManage (i.e. the compare, compare latest, compare versions commands via right-click or context menus).
- Downloading iManage files to their computer before comparing them with Draftable
- Selecting the ‘Redline (Word with Tracked Changes)’ output instead of the ‘Redline .pdf’
What if the problem persists?
If the issue is not resolved by following the above steps, it may be beneficial to consult our customer support for further assistance. You can contact our customer support team for help at email@example.com
Technical details of the issue
The issue is related to a compatibility problem with the a system component called Microsoft Edge WebView2. Specifically, the issue is triggered by the presence of Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime v121.0.2277.98 or later. This issue arose due to an update to Edge WebView 2 which introduced a compatibility issue with an embedded variant of the Google Chrome browser (specifically Chromium) used by Draftable.
Draftable understands that Microsoft and Google developers are investigating and resolving the root cause of this compatibility issue.